Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Sky is the limit! Or is it?

My recent photography has brought me to the great outdoors at night.   I wanted to capture the stars and the moon together.  Later I discovered it's not possible to get the great detail on the moon plus the beautiful stars all in one photo (without high tech equipment or photoshop).  So today's focus is on the stars.


Camera used: Sony A57 DSLR
Lens: Tamron 18-270mm
Settings: F 3.5 , shutter 0.62 & ISO 3200

The above photo was one of the first photos that I took while trying to capture the stars.  If focusing on the stars alone, it should be a clear night.   It was almost a clear night...until my hubby put wood in the wood stove. 

The photo below is one of my favorites so far.  I have a long way to go but I like it.

 
Camera used: Sony A57 DSLR
Lens: Tamron 18-270mm
Settings: F 3.5, shutter 1/4 and ISO 3200
 
And what would the post be without a point and shoot version???  
I love my Sony Cybershot DSC- HX200V.  I don't know if I can ever ditch the p & s version for my dslr completely.  It's handy and fast.  I will admit, I can't fit as many stars.  So it's not my favorite for stargazing.
Camera used: Sony HX200-V
Settings: F 2.8, shutter 2 seconds, & ISO 1600

We live in NH and this week we can see comet Pan-STARRS.  You can read about where to see them in the night sky and what to look for through the local wmur website (this link might work: http://www.wmur.com/weather/How-to-spot-comet-Pan-STARRS-in-New-Hampshire-sky/-/9859398/19312426/-/hf1039/-/index.html.)  Last night I snapped a very quick photo of the moon and didn't realize that the comet was going to be in view.   So I missed it :(  But I will be looking tonight if it's clear!


1 comment: